Dunbar v Edin. Uni. Medics

Dunbar welcomed Edinburgh University Medics to Hallhill for this East 2 League match. The visitors kicked off in perfect conditions and immediately won a penalty after Dunbar went offside. They elected to kick to the corner and won good line out ball but Dunbar held them up and cleared up field. The Medics looked clean to run the ball at every opportunity and forced the home side back. Dunbar defended well initially but were split wide open after 7 minutes. Dunbar were slow to get in their stride and spurned several opportunities. Dunbar continued to press and it looked like a score was on the cards but Jamie Peters could not quite control the ball. The pressure continued and Calum Champion soon levelled things before Charlton converted for a 7-5 lead.


Dunbar came straight back up field and were awarded a penalty but the ball came off the upright before being gathered by a Dunbar player. The ball was moved quickly and John Peebles crashed over to score. Charlton converted from the touchline for a 14-5 lead after 29 minutes. Dunbar scorned another chance on 33 minutes as the ball rolled forward from Peters as he tried to offload. Dunbar continued to press but could not add to their tally.

Dunbar started the second half strongly through the forwards and a massive miss-pass from Charlton to Wilson saw the latter send Penrose away. The full back still had work to do but forced his way through for the score on 45 minutes. Dunbar started to unload the bench and the impact was immediate. Dunbar set up good phases of play before unleashing Penrose for his second try of the match. Charlton converted from the touchline to give his side a 28-5 lead and secure a try bonus point. The next quarter was mostly all Dunbar but the ball coming back was too slow, allowing the Medics to defend their line better.

It took Dunbar until the 68th minute to score their next try through Jamie Peters. The forwards made great ground out wide before quick ball to John Peebles saw the winger break through to within 10 metres of the line where he offloaded to Peters to score. Charlton kicked the extra points for a 35-5 lead. The home side continued to dominate proceedings and it was appropriate that it was Antoin Penrose who scored a solo try from half way.

The Medics scored the first try and they would complete the scoring with a consolation try in the final minute.

Dunbar will need to play much better when they welcome league leaders Hawick Linden in a fortnight. Play was too slow at times and too many chances were squandered. Final Score – Dunbar  42 – 10 Edinburgh University Medics.

Photographs & Match report by David Wilson – Chairman Dunbar RFC